Self-Care isn't Selfish - A Kickstart Guide
I am reminded every so often, maybe more now that I need to take care of myself on a regular basis. Getting sick is a good kick in the butt reminder.
I recently starting volunteering for a local success coach business Your New Leaf where Daisy-Mae hosts Workshop Wednesday once a month. The topics vary and are all together helpful to everyone on a daily basis. Sometimes what is taught are reminders. And I think that we all need some reminding from time to time. It’s made me more self aware and given me a better understanding about myself. Sometimes we just need the right tools to make it happen.
Self-care is not necessarily a day at the spa, but it can be. However, you may not have the luxury to do so. Here are some things that you can do to kickstart your self-care routine.
It's Okay to say No
Lets face it, we are constantly busy with family life and the extracurricular activities that the kids enjoy doing. The house needs to be cleaned and the laundry to be folded and put away. You also have that presentation at work that you need to rock their socks off or it might mean you don’t get that new position. It’s hard to juggle everything on a daily basis and sometimes you feel like the ones you love are making everything worse.
It’s time for you to take a step back and look at everything. Ask yourself, does that laundry need to be put away right now? No. Do you really need to contribute to that potluck and make something? No. Do you have to go visit mom and Dad this week? No. Learn to start saying NO.
It’s not procrastinating, it’s just keeping what you can swallow on your plate at the moment. It’s okay to say No, because it’s not always going to be that way and soon enough you’ll be able to visit Mom and Dad and really be able to enjoy that time with them. Saying no means being free to enjoy the things you love without the anxiety and stress because all you are thinking of is all that stuff that you need to do. Distracted=missing out on the simple things in life that bring you joy.
Add a Bedtime Beauty Routine
Everyday, take whatever ever time you can take and do something for yourself. Always, and I mean always take 5 minutes or so to remove your make-up, cleanse and moisturize. Add the final touch of a lavender lip balm as you inhale the calming scent to help you decompress for a good night’s sleep.
Incorporate a bigger self-care routine 1-2 times a week depending on what you can give yourself. But at least do one bigger self-care routine for yourself. It could mean taking a bath on Sunday before your week begins. Or how about Mask Monday ? If you like to read, add that to your bath time or while your mask does it’s thing. And hey, make that hair appointment or get your self a facial every so often.
Now this part is important step to do. You need to add doing these things to your calendar! Just as you would for a doctor’s appointment or meeting. YOU Must add it to your calendar and make it a reoccuring event. And if you share your calendar with your significant other, make sure they know it as well. So they know that you are having your “ME” time and that they are the ones that needs to take care of anything that may arise in that time. I have my exercise routine programmed into my calendar for a specific day and time. It helps with keeping up with the routine.
12 Other Things You Can Do For Yourself
It doesn’t need to be complicated. It needs to be about YOU. You can’t pour from an empty cup. The less time for yourself will make other things suffer. Including friendship and quality time with the kids / significant other. I’ve compiled a list of other things that you can do. Be sure to add it to your calendar.
- DIY Mani/pedi
- take a nap
- Go for a drive & crank up the music
- Bake a cake and eat it too
- Sleep in
- Get dressed up just because
- Order in Dinner
- Stare at the stars
- Take an hour to read a book
- Spend some time on your hobby
- Go to a coffee shop and treat yourself
- Do a DIY spa night with your friends
4 DIY Spa @ Home Ideas
- Hang Eucalyptus to your shower-head and take a shower and decongest.
- Make your self a fruit infused water with your favourite fruits.
- Soothe your eye area with tea bags- Steep some tea (drink it!) then use the tea bags for the eye area. Chamomile for anti-inflammatory or green tea for anti-aging. Be sure to cool the tea bags in the refrigerator. then let them sit on your eyes for 10-15 minutes.
- Make yourself a food face mask using raw honey and avocado. Mash avocado like you would to make guacamole. Add honey in small increments to create a paste. Apply to face and neck for 10-15 minutes. Rinse off and apply moisturizer. -Have acne ? Add some plain yogurt to the mix. Do not save any left overs and discard what is not used.